Thursday, March 1, 2012

Keeping a proper perspective

Well, it's the first of the month and a good time to reflect on the month and my progress.

At first glance I could get very discouraged. I'm 173.2 this morning. That is still 1.2 pounds over my all time low which was way back on December 15th. I'm still not back to my pre-holidays weight. That in itself is very discouraging.

However, the scale doesn't tell the whole story.  Reality is. I did make progress. On February first I weight 175.6. Since then I lost 2.4 pounds. It's not much, but it is progress. But, there is more. I got smaller!

March 1st is also measurements time and while the scale didn't do much moving, I did lose inches! I lost an inch off the chest and an inch off the waist. What that means is that the scale will eventually have to catch up with the rest of my losses. I'm so, so glad that I take measurements so that I can see, despite not being at my lowest on the scale, I am the smallest I've been in measurements for this entire journey.

And it's also making me realize that there is a possibility that I can get my waist to below 30 inches. Wouldn't that be awesome? I didn't even think that was a possibility for this journey, but when I look at my body, I have the most to lose from my waist and my hips. I'm not sure I'll lose much more in the hips because of loose skin, but I can in the waist! No wonder smaller pants were beginning to fit me. I am getting smaller!

So, while I'm not thrilled with how slow the scale is moving. I have to be proud for getting back on track after the holidays with eating and with exercise. I'm right on track for that too. And as the weather is getting nicer and nicer, it will just get easier and easier to be more active and being active has always been the key to weight loss for me.

I will call this winter a success because despite slow losses on the scale, I did drop pounds. I did drop inches. I did gain strength (just upped my weights again in strength class) and I did gain cardio endurance as now I can do propulsion in class. These truly are all great successes and I need to realize that and celebrate that. I am doing great.

Stats for 3/1/12:

Highest weight: 275  Now: 173.2
Total hours exercised in 2012: 42.5/250

Starting chest: 47" Now: 40" (change since last month: down 1" for a total loss of 7")
Starting Waist: 43" Now: 31" (change since last month: down 1" for a total loss of 12")
Starting Hips: 50" Now: 41" (change since last month: down 1" for a total loss of 9")
Starting Arm: 18" Now: 13.25" (change since last month: up .25" for a total loss of 4.75")
Starting Thigh: 30" Now: 23"(change since last month: down 0" for a total loss of 7")

No comments:

Post a Comment