Tuesday, August 9, 2011

When a class kicks your butt

Just as I'm feeling strong and healthy, I get a reality check. I'm still a fitness fledgling. I still have a long way to go and sometimes exercise kicks my butt.

Yesterday I was feeling so good. I was getting lots of positive comments on my progress pictures on the weight loss forum. I can see how far I've come and then I took the step class last evening. I went to a different gym and took the class at a different time. I usually do Zumba on Mondays, but I felt like doing the step workout. I get to class and it's the same instructor as teaches the Wednesday morning class I take and she's good.

Then we start, no problems, it's OK, but very soon I realize this room is HOT. First, it's in the basement of this gym. Second, the ceilings are lower and the room is smaller - more bodies in a small space makes the heat build up.

At about halfway through, I'm tired. Really tired. I usually do some of the propulsion stuff, but every time I try, I can feel I'm over doing it. I forgot to wear my heart rate monitor, so I couldn't confirm my feeling, but phew... wiped. out.

I finish the class and I don't remember the last time I felt that wiped out from a routine. Three hours later and I'm ready for bed. I slept all night and still feel tired this morning. I'm so glad I'm not doing a cardio class today. Today is the strength training class and while it's a cardio strength training class (our heart rates get up there), it's a different kind of exhaustion.

My husband was going to do the strength training class with me today, but he's still really hurting from the class on Saturday. Unbelievable! He went swimming yesterday and he said that felt so easy, so effortless and then he got out of the pool and instantly felt the same muscle pain. So odd. He is stronger than me. Can bike up hills on the bike that I can't. Lift heavier things and so on, so this is just odd that when it's sustained use of strength he gets so sore, but with a burst of strength, he's fine.

Anyway, hoping this feeling of fatigue passes!

Stats for 8/9/11:

Beginning weight: 255.6  Now: 192.4 (new low!)
Exercise total hours in 2011: 237
Total miles walked in 2011: 661/1000

1 comment:

  1. I like to workout in a hot room! Makes my heart rate get up and stay up much faster! But I don't think I could do a whole step class in a hot room! (and I'm only 25!)

    ReplyDelete