Saturday, August 27, 2011

Hurricane is about upon us and life around that

Yesterday afternoon I stocked up for any hurricane inconveniences - lighter, batteries, food in case we lose power. Then, I made a cake for my mentee's birthday party (which was now postponed for a day due to the hurricane weather) Here's the cake:

This cake has a story to it. When I was doweling it (you put wood support pieces to hold the tiers up so they don't sink into lower layers of the cake and then you put one center dowel through the center to keep the cake from sliding off the side), the top tier's cardboard cake plate buckled in half instead of being pierced and then that cake plate plunged into the middle tier, ripping it apart. I was in a panic at midnight with a destroyed cake. I was so lucky to have had spare pieces, so I disassembled it, took out the middle tier, put in a new middle tier and then placed to top tier back on top. Because of the accident, this cake isn't as smooth or as tidy as I usually make them, but all in all, it was a success as it meant I got some sleep at least and the birthday girl loves it, so that's all that really matters, right?

So, I went to deliver it this morning after a meeting I had in Virginia (an hour drive for me). After the meeting, the rain was already beginning to come down because of the hurricane. Now, I should have just come home, but to have time with no kids underfoot, and in a larger area, I wanted to go shopping. It was cooler today and I was wearing my only pants and I don't even like them (one of my goodwill finds this winter which I was excited about at the time, but in the end, the cut of the pant isn't very flattering in the leg). Anyway, I called my husband and said that since the storm wasn't coming in until later, I wanted to do a bit of shopping.

And that's what I did and I was successful in finding 3 pairs of pants - brown, black-ish and dark blue jeans. And, two shirts - all for a grand total of $69 (yay for clearance racks!). Used the $50 rewards card we just got and it was a $19 success! Yay! I still need a coat and sweaters, but I am pretty set now for early fall at least and some of that is professional wear, which is better than any of my summer attire which is strictly casual.

After I came home, it was dinner time, kid time and now soon, bed time as the hurricane is making it's way closer to us. I only got 4.5 hours of sleep last night and the bed is calling me. Plus, despite the weather, rain soothes me. Plus, we live an hour's drive inland from the coast, so we're not in a super dangerous zone, but we could lose power overnight, but shouldn't be at risk for anything more than that. It is steadily raining, but not really more than other really rainy days we get frequently around here.

Tomorrow will be staying around home and baking and cooking. Monday is the first day of school and my older son's birthday. Of course, said son has had a fever for the last 36 hours, so who knows what's in store for Monday, but I have to plan as usual.

No exercise today, but that's OK. Believe it or not, spending hours on your feet in the kitchen burns lots of calories too (as long as you don't eat it all back with finger dippings in the frosting bowl!)

Stats for 8/27/11:

Beginning weight: 255.6  Now: 189.4
Total # of hours exercised in 2011: 252
Total # of miles walked in 2011: 722/1000

No comments:

Post a Comment