Sunday, August 28, 2011

Little hurricane issues, a new job and this new found energy

First, to all who might be worrying, there was very little issue with the hurricane. I must have been a bit nervous because despite very little sleep the night before, I couldn't fall asleep last night. The storm really started to pick up around 10 pm and when I finally fell asleep about 1 am it was still roaring outside.

Upon inspection, the only things in our area that seemed to have been affected is that the screen blew off the window from the master bedroom (and it is always a bit loose). The little half cage protecting the turtle nest blew into the neighbor's yard and about 10 tomatoes fell off the tomato plant and several twigs fell from trees. No water damage, no electrity problems or anything. The gyms around the city are still closed do to lost power at all three, but we never lost it here (maybe older neighborhoods are better equipped?)

I'm also psyched up a bit because I have officially rejoined the workforce, even if quarter time only (for now).  I have a lot of ideas and feel I also have the skills to actually make a positive impact. And well, that feels great. I have been out of the workforce for 8 years (wow... 8 years!) while staying home with the kids and while I think that was the best decision for our family at the time. I'm really itching to get back to work.

But I also have this new found energy. I'm healthy again. My thyroid is working normally. My fitness level is getting better and better and I'm not hauling around all that weight which slowed me down and wore me out. Basically, I feel like the 'old me'. And I missed the old Melissa and I'm sure my family did too! Of course, I have the feeling of, "I wish I would have known". But I'm not looking back except to learn from the past and move on!

Ok, back to work around the house. Tomorrow is my son's 15th birthday, but guess what? He has the flu! Can you believe that? So, not only was the first day of school on his birthday which was kind of sucky, but now he'll be out sick on the first day of school, on his birthday. Poor kid! Not a nice way to start his sophomore year!

Stats for 8/28/11:

Beginning weight: 255.6  Now: 188.6


No comments:

Post a Comment