Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Shopping when you are 41 years old

Yesterday I did a full day of shopping. I did a 3 hour stint of shopping last week too. What's sad is that in all that time of shopping, I have bought only one thing and that was a black suit - pants and jacket for $20 total. Everything on sale is too summery in the stores and I have absolutely no idea what size I'll be wearing next year, so I'm not stocking up like I usually would. And, the fashions are weird. I suppose that means I'm getting old, but all this crepe-ish material in weird porportions doesn't do it for me. The stuff I like, I can't afford. I'm simply not paying $50 for a cotton shirt. No way.

But I need some fall clothes. As soon as the weather cools down I have: a spring weight/design pair of jean like material (very lightweight) and I have a khaki knee length skirt that has two shirts to match, and I have a slightly too tight longer pencil skirt in navy blue linen. That's it. I have no sweaters, no blouses, no nothing to match. All my summer clothes are too casual and 90% of them are workout clothes. Which is great as I can continue to wear them for class (that was a smart move on my part), but no long sleeve shirts to my name? That might get me through mid-september but then I'll need some clothes. Oh, I have no coats either. I have one sweatshirt jacket, but that's it.

So, I'm shopping again today and probably tomorrow and maybe the day after that. It's no tax week in Maryland, so I'm trying to make the most of it, but I'm just surprised that no sweaters or anything have hit the stores yet. Or are they too old fashioned? No one dresses for the weather any more or something?

Ironically, I see lots of dresses I like, but they are more expensive and impractical. With a shirt and skirt or pants, I can mix and match. I can't do that with a dress. Ugh... I thought it would be easier shopping in smaller sizes and while it's definitely fun to fit in the smaller sizes, I'm not getting far in finding a wardrobe - even a small one! Time is ticking!

My kids are set, however. My younger one has a complete fall and winter wardrobe and same with my older son. Backpacks are here and we will buy school supplies tomorrow. Classes start on August 29th, my son's 15th birthday.

OK... that's it for me. 1.5 hours until class.

Stats for 8/17/11:

Beginning weight: 255.6  Now: 192.8
Exercise total hours in 2011: 245
Total miles walked in 2011: 690/1000

No comments:

Post a Comment