Tuesday, May 31, 2011

The last day of May

June promises summer. Sure feels like summer already! It's been sweltering hot - 95 degrees yesterday and 96 today and that's without adding in the heat index which made it feel over 100 degrees. Only thing you can do outside on days like that is to go to the swimming pool! And that is just what we did.

My little guy loves the pool. My older one still can find some fun and my husband has been swimming laps 3-4 times a week, so he swims some laps during the adult swim and plays with the kids (rotating between them) at other times. It's such great family fun. I did 300 yards swimming laps yesterday too - about 2/3s freestyle and 1/3 breaststroke. Somehow (not sure how), the freestyle is now easier to do than breaststroke. Maybe I'm getting better conditioned or something. My husband has been reading a book and watching videos on how to improve swim strokes and I've been listening and tried to incorporate that into my swim yesterday, so maybe that's part of it too.

Since I didn't get much swimming yesterday and it was too hot even in the evening to walk, I jumped around in the basement last night. I chose "Kathy Smith's March to Fitness" and it was too easy. During her 'interval training' section, my heart rate got up to 127, but otherwise, even with exaggerating the movements the most I could do safely, my heart rate was between 117-122 the entire time. Just means I need to retire most of my beginner aerobics tapes and stick to the intermediate ones. (low intermediate). That gets harder because I really want to keep things low impact and many of the intermediates and all of the advanced tapes/DVDs I have are high impact and I just don't want to go there.

Well, time to get my little one ready for school. Three more weeks!

Beginning weight: 255.6  Now: 208.4 (a bit more than 47 pounds lost)
Exercise total hours in 2011: 174
Total miles walked/biked in 2011: 454.5/1000 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment