Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Almost done with the yard!

Well, done as I can do with the budget, time and energy level. I can't revamp the yard, starting all over. I have to work with what I have and what I had was a lot of empty space and now I have filled 'some' of that empty space. Tomorrow I am mulching, finishing putting up the fencing and weeding/deheading. I have planted some bulbs which aren't up yet, so some naked spots and of course, as everything is in the baby stage of their size, lots of empty space, but a lot less empty space than there used to be.

Last night while watering, I did a count of everything I've put in. In the rock garden flower bed I've put in 14 perennials, 7 annual bulbs, a tree, 8 annuals in the ground, and 4 pots of annuals. In the side of the yard flower bed I've put in 34 perennial bulbs, 28 new perennials, 2 bushes, transplanted two perennials and have added 8 pots of annuals. In the yard by the bird bath there are 2 pots with annuals and 6 perennials. On the deck there is a hanging basket holder with four baskets of annuals. Behind the house I potted 6 pots with tomatoes, 3 pots with figs, 4 long containers with herbs and nearby I planted a tree in the ground. In the flower bed in front of the house I planted 36 begonias of two varieties, one new bush, one transplanted bush, and added 5 pots of annuals. In the front yard island flower bed I have planted 8 perennials, 42 annuals in the ground, one bush and 4 pots of annuals. And finally around the front tree I added 9 annuals in the ground. If you add that up quickly, I've planted 241 things and that's not very accurate because most of the pots of annuals have 3-5 plants in them.

Before planting, I weeded the side flower bed, the back of the house flower bed and the front of the house flower bed. I built/created the island flower bed, the rock flower bed and the mini flower bed around the front tree. I've added edging to two of the flower beds and now I'm just waiting on the rhubarb to arrive and in the meantime I need to mulch, mulch and more mulch. Good thing I got the mowing done yesterday! ALL of that in a bit over a week (or is it closer to two weeks now with some breaks in there with weather and events/happenings in my life).

It's feeling very good to not have the worst yard in the neighborhood. Of course, now I have to keep it up so that it doesn't all go to pot. And I really want to get a yard swing. My youngest little guy LOVES to swing/rock and since we moved here when he was already 4 and a half and he's our last, investing in a swing set/playground didn't seem worth it, but a yard swing would be nice! If I can get my husband to go for it. He's pretty 'eh' on this whole yard project. He and his mom are real city slickers.

I'm having problems sleeping as of late which makes me wonder what's up. I think it's mainly I can't keep my head from thinking too much. So much I want to do and not enough means to do them in either time or money. With this whole gardening thing, I've found some great sales, bought small plants and of course, had two gift cards too. For a couple hundred dollars out of our pocket, I've done quite a bit! Of course, my labor is free!

Well, sleep last night was pretty much non-existent. Going to make working hard today very difficult. Grrr!!! Only good news is that I dropped some of that water weight and oh yes, I'm now in the first half of my monthly cycle. Let's see when the stall happens this time!

Beginning weight: 255.6  Now 210.6 (lost 45 pounds)
Exercise total hours in 2011: 147 hours
Walking/Biking/Running totals in 2011: 405/1000

No comments:

Post a Comment