Tuesday, June 21, 2011

I love Zumba and I am getting so much stronger!

I went to the 6 pm class and was happy to see that there were no mirrors in the gym - so, so happy about that! The class was pretty full. There were about 25-30 women in the gym ranging in age from about 15 to 60. Most of the ladies were thin or average sized. Then there was me and two women bigger than me.

I admit, I was a bit nervous. I've heard so much about Zumba and how it takes a few classes to get the steps and this time with my fitness, I've been doing mostly step arerobics or walking as I don't feel comfortable doing any twisting movements on the plush carpeting in the basement.

But, it went so well! I forgot to turn on my fitness watch until we were 8 minutes into the routine, but here is my workout. Untitled by berryblondeboys at Garmin Connect - Details You can see how my heart rate was great! I didn't need to modify anything (unless there was a lot of jumping and that has more to do with bladder control issues than with them being too hard - maybe too much information, but I'm currently doing pelvic floor exercises too to help with those issues too. Having a 10 lbs 9 ounces baby and a 11 pounds 14 ounces baby naturally did a number on those muscles!).

Of course, I didn't get all the steps, but I got most of it. I think because I've taken a dance class in college, taken dance lessons at school events and because I was formerly on a drill team and mostly because I've done a lot of dance aerobic videos, I've learned how to pick up routines fairly well. Routines have a pattern of 4 and 8 usually and so on. So, I didn't feel like I was a lost puppy in class. I got the moves about as well as most of the people in the class and it was my first time doing any zumba at all.

Most of the class was average sized people. There were a couple women larger than me, but I was definitely one of the biggest, but I moved with the group. In the squatting sections of the songs, I probably did that better than most of the class which is sort of funny! I've worked really hard at being able to do squats and lunges these last couple months and it's paid off. My knees no longer hurt while doing them because I finally learned better form it seems!

So, Zumba is definitely on the roster for doing it more often. I had my heart rate up there for almost the entire time (came down quickly inbetween songs which is where you can see dips in the heart rate) and I could have kept going for another 30 minutes at least.

The heart rate thing is interesting to me too. When I started this fitness thing, getting my heart rate up to 144 felt like I was going to die. Now, my heart rate regularly goes to 160-167 and I can keep that up for awhile. My average heart rate last night for the 51 minutes I recorded was 144. That was the average where a couple months ago, that would have been my "I need to slow down"  level! It spiked at 159.

The floor at that gym was a rubberized floor. Isn't that an odd choice for zumba? I wore my  nonrunning shoes (they are running shoes, but it's what I use for aerobics in the basement. I use a different pair of running shoes for walking that give me more stabilization for fast walking).

Anyway, it was great! I took my 6 year old son to the gym with me. With part of my gym membership, we pay an extra $5 a month to have child care. They have it for babies 6 weeks to 13 years old and have different rooms for different age groups. They have rooms for 0-3 year olds, 3-6 year olds, and 6-13 year olds. They first directed me to the 6-13 room, but it's games like foosball, computers, shooting hoops, etc. Not quite what my 6 year old is up for yet. Then I peaked into the 3-6 year old room and it has climbing toys, teeter totters, craft areas, book areas and so on. That is way more his speed so I moved him. He had a great time which is a double bonus. He gets to do something different while I get to work out. He had fun and I had fun! After my older son finishes his finals, I'll be dragging him too. He needs to work on his fitness. He's as skinny as a rail, but has gotten really out of shape in this past year. He went from a toned black belt in Tae Kwon Do to a total computer geek with no stamina. So, this summer will be the summer we hit the gyms!

Scale is a 'bit' down today, but not by much and I'm sure it's dehydration and not from the water weight leaving me. Here's a picture I took of my ankle last evening. It was left from my sock which is not a tight sock. Me and my body with holding water cyclically is just something I have to get used to: 


Stats for 6/21/11:

Beginning weight: 255.6  Now: 203.8
Exercise total hours in 2011: 191
Total miles walked/biked in 2011: 508.2/1000

No comments:

Post a Comment