Monday, June 6, 2011

All about the bike!

On Saturday afternoon we got my son's bike. He was pretty excited about it and then on Saturday evening I went first to Target to get a lock for my son's new bike and then I went to get my bike, waiting for me and a lock for it too.

When I got home, I did a quick test drive around the cul de sac. I felt so free! I figured out how to turn on the generator headlamp and the taillight and took another spin. Yep, this was the right choice.

Yesterday, Sunday, was a rough day for me, but I did get out and started to piddle with getting the bike ready. First I got the basket on. I was a bit worried the basket would hang too low and block the light, but no worries. All's fine and it looks so cute and it will be useful!

Then my husband took a little tour around the cul de sac with my bike (and with the basket - ah, so cute!) and he likes the internal gears too. See? I know! Awesome! And then he suggested we take a spin around the adjoining circular street. That street is 1/3 uphill and 2/3s downhill. I had to walk a bit of that uphill climb. I just don't have the strength in my legs yet to power all the way up. My husband could and that sparked a bit of competitiveness in me! I don't want to be wimpy! Not that I want my husband to be wimpy either, but I want to be able to keep up!

After that very short bike ride (we wanted to do more, but my 6 year old was not dealing well with his lack of sleep and wanted mom home), I tried to get the new bike lock clamp to attach to my frame, but after struggling through the bad directions for the basket, I didn't have the energy to do it. Today then, I hope to get the bike lock on, the new comfier seat and to get the little trailer thingee to work.

My goal is to not drive to the grocery store except in winter. There is no reason I can't ride to the grocery store 2-3 times a week to get what we need. It's just a couple miles there and back. I know that initially, I will have to stop and walk the bike up the hills, but I also know how quickly the body builds strength and soon, very soon, I'll be able to power up all the hills there and back. Bike riding muscles are just differently used muscles from walking and aerobics. But I'll get there!

The one last thing I need to decide on for the bike are panniers for hauling stuff - like groceries or library books. And, my deep hope is that I will find a job that is biking distance and then I'll bike to work on all days except snowy days. The community college is 1.5 miles. The hospital is 1.8 miles. The downtown business offices is one mile and the schools (primary, middle and high school) are all within a mile. I'm not looking for a glamorous job at this point. I want one close, easy to get to, and a fast commute so I can still be there for my kids. But, that's jumping ahead of myself.

There are three possibilities for panniers. Buy one more of this type (we already have one that my husband uses):

Here is a link that shows more photos: http://www.ebags.com/product/detours/toocan-grassy/139755

My worry is that it will interfere with the little trailer thingee behind the bike. Look how high it sits (not my bike, but a photo from online):

That pannier is almost as tall/high up as the bag on the bike rack. Plus, and this is the petty sounding part of me. I want something cute. This is my bike and I want something a bit girly and fun. I'm tired of being so darn practical with everything. This company used to make a girl pannier, but they are completely sold out everywhere. I've called and checked the couple of sites that said they still had them - and they don't. Today, after I check if this pannier sits too high or not, I will call the Detours company to ask if they are planning on making it again. One store I called said they were, but that's all second hand information. Isn't this a cute bag?

But again, look how high it sits up on the rack/side of the bike. This is a big if, but I'll know within the hour if it will interfere or not. At least we have one of these bags, so I can be sure either way.

Now, this company still has in stock some panniers of a different type, but they don't have any internal organization, no waterproof cover and it's a bit smaller. It's advantage is that it can become a backpack. Here is the other bag:



And here is a youtube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkFkCWsZ6j8 But again, it sits high.

Then, the other two possibilities. One is another removable bag. it folds flat and is a bit smaller than the toocan. It's not super girly, but it's functional. The Bontrager City Interchange Grocery Pannier: 


That little zipper covers the hooks that attach it to the bike rack when not in use. Pretty practical, but also the most expensive option. It sits lower, but on the 'fun' side of things, still pretty blah.

Then there are these. The green one is cheaper (cheaper material and no exterior pockets):

Looks like this (different color shown) on a bike:


See how it sits flat, so it shouldn't interfere with that bike trailer thingee. However, they are meant to stay on the bike at all times, not to be removed every time you use it. it's possible to lock them on, but also the straps are a deterrent too in that they are hard to undo.

Of coruse, I prefer the more expensive one with the outside pockets, but it's nearly double the price:
This is how it looks on a bike:


And, of course, these last two are the smallest of the panniers. They are big enough for groceries, though. (the heavier groceries would go in the trailer thingee).

I can't decide. Price is all relative as the difference isn't huge, but it's about what will be more useful. Being able to take the bag off is definitely useful, but I don't like the options. I suppose I could do this one as a removable bag:

See, too many decisions, which is why I haven't made one yet!  You all have any opinions? I would gladly entertain them!

Stats for 6/6/11:

Beginning weight: 255.6  Now: 204.0
Exercise total hours in 2011: 177.5
Walking/Biking total miles in 2011: 467/1000

3 comments:

  1. I like the expensive ones on the bottom with the outside pockets, but would you really have to undo the little leather straps every time you want to open them? That would be annoying. Something with magnetic closures or snaps would be better I would think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look like straps, but they are indeed clasps (like a magnetic snap). That is the one I ordered.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well that was a good choice then. I have seen leather briefcases that have the complicated straps like that, but at the end they will actually have a magnetic closure, and the strap buckle is basically decorative.

    ReplyDelete