Thursday, June 16, 2011

Couple big accomplishments

While the scale is doing it's funky thing of doing it's monthly stall out, other things are going nicely. I continue to feel strong and energetic. Sleeping has been great and I feel better than I have for probably 20 years. 41? Pfft. I feel like I'm 21.

The first big accomplishment is that I am down to one medication - just one. The thyroid medication which I will need for the rest of my life. So that means what? It means I have weaned myself off the blood pressure medicine! My blood pressure went fro 230-130 in the beginning of December to 114/76 (without medication) now in mid-June. A couple weeks ago I saw my blood pressure was getting lower again and at that time I was taking 10 mg a day. I dropped it to 10 mg every other day, but my bp was still low, so I finally just dropped it altogether and more than a week later and it's stabilized at 114/76 or thereabouts within a few digits.

One of the big motivators for this lifestyle change was to get off the blood pressure medicine and I'm very happy that I was able to do that so quickly. So, I averted needing diabetes intervention and got my blood sugars back to normal and now have managed to get my blood pressure back to normal. By all measures, my health is now fine as my cholesterol came down to within normal ranges too. Only thing that remains is to take the rest of this weight off and to keep at it with being active and getting fit so I can stay healthy.

The other big accomplishment is that I have gotten to the halfway mark of walking/biking 1000 miles in 2011. I needed to get to 500 miles by the end of June and I did it! With two weeks to spare! Yesterday's super active day pushed me over the top.

So, while the scale is still playing around with that same one pound it has been playing with for the last 8 days, other important things are happening and progress is being made. Not everything is about the scale!

Stats for 2011:

Beginning weight: 255.6  Now: 202.4 (a bit more than 53 pounds lost)
Exercise total hours in 2011: 189
Total miles walked/biked in 2011: 501.5/1000

2 comments:

  1. Fantastic accomplishment on lowering your blood pressure through healthy eating and exercising and getting off the meds! I swear there is a connection between the brain and the body when it comes to wanting a certain number so bad, the elusive 199, then once you let go of the hangup of the number and realize it will come with continued hard work, the brain allows the body to release those stubborn pounds. I try not to make weight loss goals of a certain number by a set date for that reason, but I remember how I was stuck at 151-152 and wanting so badly to get into the 140s, and again at the 130ish mark and still waiting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks MeeM. And I do agree that the mind and body are very well connected and it could be why I'm having a major stall out, but the mind can't win forever. I will get past that big hump and move on to the next one.

    ReplyDelete