Friday, April 15, 2011

When your irrational wants of the heart and the rational brain FIGHT

For the most part, I'm a very, very rational person. I don't live by what my heart tells me and I try very hard to make solid rational decisions. Well, sometimes that's hard. Like now.

See, my husband bought a bike for himself last week. And we finally went bike riding as a family and with doing that, I realized how much I missed bike riding and now I want to have a bike for me to ride as riding the tandem as a solo is not the easier thing to do.

Super rationally, I should say, "Well, my teenage son has outgrown his bike. I should just fix up his and use that one." But even the rational brain can't make me like that option. It's a boys bike. It's 5 years old and needs new grips and a tune-up at the minimum, but, like so many things. I'm tired of getting the hand me down, the throw away. He needs a new bike too (if he's interested in one), but why does that mean I should have to take his outcast.

So, my rational brain starts thinking and decides I should find a used bike for myself. I did some looking and I know what sort of bike I want. I want an electra bike. And in my dream world, I want this one: electra townie euro 8i notice the price tag, $1000.

I have found this one though, used and it only has about 20 miles on it. It's the male/unisex version, but it works for me. It just doesn't have the chain guard and internal gears and it's not a step through and powder blue. Otherwise, it has MORE gears which is better. And it's only $200.





Initially, my rational brain was thrilled. Wow! I'm getting the kind of bike I want, practically in my back yard for $200 when it's in great condition? It even has fenders and a bike rack already? I don't have to add these! SCORE!!! But, then the heart started thinking, "well, it is silver and it's the unisex/men's version. For once I want something a bit girlier". Then the rational voice takes over and says, "but yes, this way anyone can ride it, including your teenager - if he doesn't find it an old person's bike"

I know the rational brain will win out. I will get this and give up the dream of a $1000 bike as a. why spend that much? and b. we can't afford that much. But in the meantime, my heart is aching for something it can't or shouldn't have. Don't you hate that???

I'm taking a look at this bike today. I would take it home today if I could find a way to get it home, but not possible with my little one in the car with me. I am excited about it though as it's a great bike and will give me more opportunites to ride and I'm girlify it with baskets and such. Fun, right?

Slight gain today, but expected as I'm holding fluids, I can tell.

Stats for 4/15/11:

Beginning weight: 255.6  Now 221.4 (a bit more than 34 lbs lost)
Exercise totals in 2011: 95 hours 45 minutes
Walking/running/biking totals in 2011: 315.4/1000

No comments:

Post a Comment