Wednesday, April 6, 2011

I didn't think clothes could be a motivator for me, but...

While I'm not motivated to be a certain size or plan to turn into a fashionista, I am finding that certain outfits and for now, certain sizes are motivating me.

Tonight I have a dinner date to attend. I mentioned it before, but it will be with one of my husband's bosses and his wife and a former boss and her husband. We were also fairly close friends with the latter. The last time we saw the last couple was 8 years ago when we lived in Canada which happens to correspond with my highest weight - 275. I weigh 50 pounds less than when they saw me last time. Not sure if they'll notice or care. That's not really the point, but it's amazing to me how far I have come since then.

I was planning on wearing something simple. Something I have now, but everything I own is too big My newest pants are getting baggy in the butt and thighs and I swim in all but a couple of my shirts and those shirts don't match the pants I have.

So, I went shopping. I bought a pair of 16 pants on the clearance rack. I tried on several 16s and 16Ws and they all fit, just not all nice looking. But, the black pair will work. Then I found a cute, me-ish short sleeved top. I'll wear that tomorrow. It makes me look less frumpy and therefore I feel less frumpy.

Then I went to look at dresses. I need a dressier outfit in a few weeks and again, I have nothing in my wardrobe. I was convinced 18s would be the size I need as I'm bigger on top than on bottom, but they had nothing. I tried on one 20, but I swam in it (cute dress though!) , so I looked at the 16s and one fit perfectly and the other is just a tiny bit too tight, but I love, love, love it. However, both dresses are sleeveless. I have awful bare arms, but, I also didn't like a little sweater over it. It made it look frumpy and just doesn't fit the style of dress.

So, my motivation right now is to be able to wear that dress which means I need to drop about 8 pounds and I need to work on my arms to make them look nicer in that dress. I want to be able to rock that dress the best I can at this high weight. It is the most darling summer dress and fits my body type very well. Accentuates the positives and camouflages the flaws. I will feel sexy wearing it and I haven't felt sexy for a long, long time.

The weight was going to come off with or without that dress for motivation, but now I plan to work it harder in my workouts and to complain less about strength training because I want to get into that dress sooner than later and I want to look as good in it as I can. Watch, my husband will hate the dress, but I lurve it! It's been ages and ages since I have bought a new dress and even longer since I felt good in one.

The other thing about today's shopping trip is that it confirmed I am now more in size 16s than 18s. And with that, I am now in regular sized clothes as well as plus sized clothes. The best of both worlds. The pants and the dress I got were in the regular section of the store, not the plus size section. Though I scoured the plus sizes first and found nothing. Only then did I think, "Oh wait, 16s are in normal sizes too!" I haven't been able to do that in 11 years and even then, only for a short time. So, that is another motivator right now. I am soooo close to being able to wear the cute clothes again that I'm just itching to get there. It makes me very, very happy! I'm just not a Lane Bryant loving gal! I love classic clothes like Talbots and artsy clothes you see at booths in fairs. It has been so long since I've been a normal size that I don't even know what mall stores to haunt once I get a bit slimmer! Though hitting the smaller sizes at Marshall's and TJMaxx will probably be my normal shopping places as I hate paying a lot for clothes! And smaller sizes... pfft. It's all perspective, huh? A 14 is smaller for me! Probably huge for most women.

And one last thing about sizes. I am giving away and donating all my larger clothes. I'll keep the one worn out pair of blue jeans I have just to show at my goal how far I've come, but otherwise, it's all going out. ALL OF IT. I will not be that size ever again. Period. Someone I know online just said very wisely and another friend said something similar recently too. They will not buy a bigger size if clothes get tight. If clothes start to feel tight, it means it's time to lose some weight. That is the route I will take. Once I get to goal and stabilize, I will just keep that promise to myself. No more bigger clothes. I must lose the weight to fit what I have and only replace like size for like size. That will be a first for me, but it's a promise I plan to keep.

Stats for 4/5/11:

Beginning Weight: 255.6  Now 224.0 (31 and a half pounds lost)
Exercise total hours/minutes in 2011: 88 hours 25 minutes
Total miles in 2011: 292/1000

No comments:

Post a Comment