Sunday, April 17, 2011

From storms to sunshine - feeling great despite a gain

Yesterday was a whirlwind day. Mad last minute cleaning (bathrooms, litter boxes, dusting), HUGE grocery shopping and then preparing tacos for 9 people so I wouldn't have to deal with it when they were here - 3 heads of lettuce to wash and cut and dry, 4 green peppers, a huge bowl of salsa, and so on. Then, once they were here, I was on my feet the whole time, playing ping-pong, making dinner, cleaning up from dinner, making dessert, getting beds made (3) and so on. I ended the day with burning more calories than I took in (only ate a protein shake for breakfast, hummus and veggies for lunch and taco salad for dinner - skipped the dessert, but it was GREAT - rubarb crisp (I had one teaspoon to make sure it was OK).

But taco salad equals weight gain for me. Even though this time I bought reduced sodium taco seasoning. It's the combo or taco seasoning, cheese and mostly, the homemade salsa. My caloric intake for the day was under 1000 (not intentionally) and I burned about 1100. Yet my scale is up a whole pound. I just had to laugh!

The sun is out this morning and we have a blooming Bradford pear in the front of the house and a blooming crabapple in the back of the house and our neighbor's forsythia is still yellow which runs all the length of our back yard So beautiful against the blue sky and the bright green grass. Spring is so gorgeous. I love it and it makes me feel so alive.

The guests we have are Sven's family, cousins. We haven't seen them for a few years and I've dropped about 50 pounds since I saw them last. They said I look great and I feel great. I caught a glimpse of  myself in the mirror yesterday and I think what surprises me most is that my face has de-aged about 15 years. Some of it is the weight loss, but I think a lot of it is getting more healthy.


The other thing for today is that it would have been my maternal grandmother's birthday. She would have been 104 years old. She died when she was 78 1/2, but I never forget her birthday. Even though she died before my 16th birthday, I still miss her terribly. We understood each other - despite the 62 year age gap. I wanted so much that my youngest son's birth would land on her birthday, but now I'm glad he has his own day. I still miss her, but I know she would be proud of me and that warms my heart a lot.

Stats for 4/17/11:

Beginning weight: 255.6   Now 221.8 (a gain of one pound from yesterday)
Exercise total hours minutes: 101 hours
Total walking/running/biking in 2011: 322.4/1000

No comments:

Post a Comment