Saturday, April 2, 2011

Ahem!

I'm so glad I didn't reach this milestone on April Fool's Day because no one would have believed me! I'm in a bit of a shock with how quickly the weight is coming off. I thought, "maybe" my thoughts of pre and post ovulation were wrong as I was losing weight pre ovulation, but since ovulation, I've dropped like 4 pounds in 4 days. I was obviously holding water. I also thought, "Well, maybe I'm dehydrating myself." So I drank about 120 ozs yesterday. I even had to get up to go pee during the night. My urine is pale, pale yellow. I'm not dehydrated. But, also I did drop the calories a bit this week. I just haven't been hungry and I'm still eating 1350 on average and I've upped my workouts too. First, I was a driven mad woman wanting to finish the Walk It Out game and then last night I decided to do my first step workout in 11 years.

Now, let me tell you how insane the brain is. In my brain now, I am a fit machine. I feel strong. I feel energized. I do not feel like I did a bit over 3 months ago - in almost anyway. I've been exercising 6 days a week that entire time. But, man, I have a long way to go. The step routine I decided to do was Kathy Smith's Step Workout. I even have the official step. I picked it up eons ago at a Play it Again Sports store for $24.99 with a ton of risers. I know as I still have the price tag on the step 11 years later! Before that I had a Wal-Mart cheapie that was too small.

I did some step (and loved it) during my major weight loss 13 years ago and picked it up 11 years ago too. But, it's been 11 years since I've done a routine.  I didn't remember anything about this video at all, but I have a lot of Kathy Smith because I like her pace and style. Also, I had asked on the Video Fitness forum about which to start with and many people said this video (from what I had) was a good jumping back into step video. Once I put it in the machine and saw the set and the dancers, I remembered, "Oh yes, I remember this routine." I also kind of remember initially I could only do the beginner's section, but I built up to the intermediate section. I'm not sure I ever did the advanced section. Maybe yes or maybe no. I am about 100 percent sure I skipped the strength training stuff as I hate it, but I'm going to do it this time because I now realize how important it is.

Anyway, I have done some stepping on the step while doing the Walk It Out game on Wii, so for legs, they have gotten stronger and can do it. The first few times I did the step with Walk It Out, my butt was sore and the back of my thighs. I don't get that any more. However, work that I have not done at all is arm work. And that now and always is my weakness. When I've been doing Walk It Out, I've been keeping my arms swinging by my sides. I was swinging them high and strong, but none of this over the head stuff and at the shoulders stuff. I couldn't do it with Walk It Out as I had to hold the nunchuck and Wiimote in certain ways for it to register my steps.

So, needless to say, very, very quickly my heart rate got racing when I started this step routine. During Walk It Out most days my heart rate averaged 132 for the session. It would be in the 120s for the first 10 or so minutes and then I would spend 50 minutes in the mid 130s - constantly, maxing out at 142. With this step routine last night, my heart rate got to 150 during the warm up. Now, if that didn't make me feel SUPER, duper unfit! If the warm up got me that high? What would the routine be like?

This tape is divided into sections. Yes, it's a tape. I took the VCR downstairs and hooked it all up. There is a 6 minute warm up, 12 minutes beginner's section, followed by the continuing intermediate section for 13 minutes and then an advanced section for 12 minutes. You are supposed to work to your level and then when done, fast forward (if you can't do all the sections) to the 5 minute cool down. Following cool down there is an abs section for 5 minutes, a 5 minute lower body section and a 5 minute upper body section.

So, I dove into the beginner's section with my heart rate around 150 - higher than it ever got with Walk It Out or walking around the lake. About 7 minutes into the beginner's section, my heart rate was around 163. At the end I was getting anywhere from 160-167. That would only be an 24 minute aerobic routine if I stopped there! I've been doing at least an hour every night. So, I decided to see how much of the intermediate section I could do. Surprisingly, I did just fine, my heart rate was staying in the same range of 160-167. At the very, very end of the section Kathy Smith said, "Let's really push it at the end" And we went flying over the step with arms over our heads. My heart rate soared to 174. I was done. But, I did two sections and with no modifications or skipped steps (unless I messed up on the step). I had no courage to do the advanced section. However, I did watch it in fast forward play mode and I actually think I could do it. I think I could because my legs are strong now. It's the arm work that gets me and that doesn't get more intense per section; the leg work does. So, maybe next time I'll get more courage and do the advanced section with modifications if needed.

I did the cool down section, the abs section, and the lower body section and part of the upper body section. I didn't have my risers under the step (yes, I was doing this with NO risers... baby steps people!) and I didn't have hand weights with me. I got in a total of 49 minutes which felt like a workout. I don't think I could go back to 20 minutes videos. Not after pushing myself for an hour the last 3 months.

The only thing that is bugging me this morning are my knees. I just have to realize that I can't do squats. My knees can't take it and I even paid close attention to form after getting pointers from gals on the video fitness forum. Otherwise I feel fine today - no sore muscles except a bit in the stomach from the ab work.

So there you have it. I'm not quite as fit as I my mind was feeling, but I am doing pretty darn well for weighing 225 pounds and for only exercising for 3 months. 4 months ago I got winded crossing a flat parking lot!

And Wow... 30 pounds! That pizza pie is looking well eaten by now! And I am so motivated to keep chugging along. I feel great!

Oh, and I was wearing the foot pod which registers steps with the fitness watch. I'm sure it didn't count everything as sometimes my right foot was planted, but it registered 3.4 miles. I also walked .5 miles on the treadmill yesterday. Sounds wimpy for the treadmill, but it was starting to bug my shins, so I stopped. So, 3.9 miles yesterday.

Stats for 4/2/11:

Beginning weight: 255.6  Now: 225 (25.6 pounds lost)
Exercise total hours in 2011: 84 hours 40 minutes
Walking totals in 2011: 279.5/1000

No comments:

Post a Comment