Thursday, March 24, 2011

When in doubt, throw it out!

This is what I always tell me husband, but did I heed my own advice? Oh no! Well, from now on, I will!

Yesterday I went to the international market to get fruits and veggies. I picked up some sprouted mung beans (soybeans) - those are the sprouts in egg foo young and chow mein. Well, I like to make them with scrambled eggs and a wee bit of potato and soy sauce. I decided to make that for brunch yesterday. Well, when I opened the bag of newly bought sprouts, they smelled a little off, but I don't have a ton of experience with sprouts, so I ignored it. I made the dish, sat down to eat it and the sprouts tasted a bit off, but I was hungry, I had made it. How could it be bad? It's just sprouts grown in spring water... Well, two hours later I'm running to the bathroom and my guts emptied out. My neighbor called about taking a walk and I decided to go. Fortunately, I was still Ok, but when I got back my stomach started churning. No up chucking, but very queasy for the rest of the day. I just ate some simple cookies (like arrowroot cookies) for the rest of the day to calm my gut and stomach. Fortunately, I only got a mild dose of food poisoning. By the end of the day, that bag of sprouts smelled super foul and out they went in the trash. Lesson learned! That is now the second time in my life I had food poisoning. First time was from eating bad cream cheese at a bagel shop near my work. That one was a vomit fest. This time I got off lucky.

Since I wasn't feeling that great yesterday, that walk around the lake was my only exercise. Well, and doing 5 loads of laundry, but I don't count stuff like that. Yesterday I decided to change out all the bedding down to the mattress. For the boys, I put their down comforters back on as they weren't complaining about being too hot yet. And, it makes sense. It's only one body in the bed, so the bed doesn't get as hot. On our bed I put on the quilt. Well, the quilt isn't enough. It's a thin cotton filled quilt. Se we go from buried in down feathers, to being covered by a thin cotton quilt. We have nothing for inbetween. Maybe I need to get us either a lighter comforter or add another layer under the quilt because at 1:30 in the morning, with my toes still cold, I went to the guest/craft room and brought out two smaller blanket to put over each of us on top of the quilt. Then I slept fine.

What do most people use? For the year we go: Down comforter (heavy) for winter, cotton quilt for spring and fall, to a woven lightweight hemp blanket for summer. Well, most people probably crank heat or AC, but we don't. I need to find a solution, for sure. Hmmm...

Hoping to get a better work out today. It will have to be in the basement. It's raining and cold and I'm not feeling it for outside. No way. I'll do the Walk it Out Wii game. I have about 6-7 more times to do it before I finish it, so I should just get it over with and then Hasta la Vista Baby!!!

And, I'm now officially down 25 lbs.

Stats for 3/24/11:

Beginning weight: 255.6   Now: 230.6
Exercise total hours in 2011: 75 hours 45 minutes
Walking totals in 2011: 247/1000

No comments:

Post a Comment