Friday, March 18, 2011

As clothes get too big and the shins

Yesterday I pulled out a green patterned shirt to wear for St. Patrick's Day. I used to look good in that shirt. Well, I looked better in that shirt than many others as it flattered the heavier body better, but now with 22 pounds lost, it hung on me and looked like a maternity shirt. Yes, sure, I could still wear it, but as I'm working hard to lose weight and gain fitness, I don't want to feel frumpy along the way. Feeling frumpy affects the mood and that can affect my mental effort in all that I'm doing. I'll get through the rest of this cold season and then donate all my tops. I won't be able to fit any of these come next fall. I'll keep my sweaters for now, but tops, out they will go.

I already have a stack of pants that are too big (had to edit this as I initially said a stack that is too small - boy is that a Freudian slip or what? That is what I'm used to, things getting too tight to wear!) and obviously, I will have to replace those as I go as I have been at Goodwill (same place I'll look for tops), but the problem area I am beginning to run into is bras. My rib cage has shrunk 2" which means my bra band size is one size too big. I was already on the tightest hooks 20 pounds ago, (as I bought the bras 30 pounds ago). The backs of the bra are beginning to slide up my back which means I'm not getting the support I need. Now, this is something that A. I can't find at Goodwill and B. I wouldn't want to get at Goodwill. First I'll try to see if I can sew them a bit tighter, but I'll probably have to buy some fairly soon. I have to special order and it's not cheap. I guess there has to be some expense as I get smaller.

Another issue I'm having is with my shins. I walked 3.3 miles around the lake yesterday and to and from my son's school and my shins ache if there's any sort of incline. I know what the problem is - those muscles get overused as I have high arches and my feet over pronate. My experience in the past is to just slowly gain strength in those muscles (they need to be the strongest in the leg basically) and then it will get better. Which means, I need to do more and more 'real' walks around the lake and elsewhere at a slow enough speed not to get shin splints, but fast enough to actually build strength. Means my heart rate won't go as high, but movement is movement, gaining strength is gaining strength and it will all come in time. With the weather getting better and better I should take a walk twice a day around the lake or it's equivalent, always working on building those shin muscles' strength.

Not much else here today. My mother in law is back, but I'm going to try to keep a positive attitude. But, it's Friday! Looking forward to a nice weekend!

Beginning weight: 255.6   Now: 233.2 (lost 22.4 lbs)
Exercise total hours in 2011: 70 hours 40 minutes
Walking totals in 2011: 230.35/1000 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment