Monday, March 14, 2011

Adjusting to daylight saving time and ramblings

I don't like the daylight saving time, but I do like that when we wake up on Monday at 6:30 am it is already light and when it's evening, it's still light. I would miss it if we didn't have light until nearly 9 pm in summer time. So, this can stay. In winter is when it gets worse. You have more light in the morning, it's true, but then it's dark around 4:30-5pm.  There is time to do NOTHING in winter outside when the daylight saving time ends. So, maybe we should just keep daylight saving time on all year? Of course, I say that but how would I feel if there was no sun in the morning until 8 am? 

But yes, this morning was hard to get up as last night was hard to go to bed! The whole day was a bit off. We woke up 'late' as our bodies haven't adjusted yet, we ate late. Exercise was easier as the 8:30 pm to my body was really 7:30 pm. And because of longer days we were able to take two one mile walks yesterday. One at 2 pm and one at 5 pm - made easier because of longer days.

It was a lazy and relaxed weekend. More homemade Indian food and more homemade bread for the family. Even though I'm no longer eating bread, I really do love making it. Yesterday I made a new whole wheat bread from a new book I picked up, The Village Baker. This book, I've read on several forums, is a must for the baker's bookshelf. Supposedly it's out of print, but there were several books on the bookshelf at the overstock bookstore in our town.  The first attempted recipe from this book seems to have turned out great. I do find bread making utterly fascinating. This recipe starts with a preferment/sponge. It's yeast, water, honey, a bit of oil, and a small portion of the flour. It sits and bubbles up for a couple hours. How many other things can you see grow in front of your very eyes? Bubbles growing and popping every few seconds? So fascinating. Then you add the salt, a bit more water and the remainder of the flour. Again, I'm fascinated as I watch this wet glob of goo turn more and more elastic and smooth as the gluten in the flour develops. This particular bread, despite being 100% whole wheat,  grew so fast and so big. The recipe said it made one small loaf and several rolls or one large one. Well, large isn't the word I would use to describe it. It's HUGE! It filled the entire 12x19 cookie sheeting and is 4-5" tall too! That's HUMONGOUS! And verdict is, it's yummy. That is the first time I've had a 100% whole wheat bread grow like that. My skills are developing as a baker and as they do, it becomes more fun to watch the wonders of bread making. But, I can't eat it! Ha!

Scales are acting wonky. I weigh the same as I did when I went to bed and that just doesn't happen! More sodium? Down to where I was before, but argh!!!! I walked 6.3 miles yesterday and that's what I get as a reward! Oh well, it will come.

Another frustrating thing is measurements - they are not going down in over a month despite losing ten pounds during that time. I can SEE in the mirror that I'm smaller but my measurement points are not where I'm losing the weight. So, the idea of seeing progress in inches isn't working for me either. I have a very large frame, so those inches will come off more slowly than on those with smaller frames, but still! My waist and hips are the same as a month ago. My chest I think is only smaller because it's a different bra. My thighs are the same. Only my arms have lost a wee little bit. Oh well. I know it's happening somewhere and I'll see the losses eventually. Patience Melissa - patience.

Stats for 3/14/11:

Beginning weight: 255.6  Now 234.6
Excercise totals in 2011: 67 hours
Miles walked in 2011: 218/1000

No comments:

Post a Comment