Monday, January 9, 2012

The role of sleep

I am constantly amazed how lack of sleep and enough sleep affects me. The last few days I have been running on fumes. And making good food decisions has been really hard. Getting harder as the day goes on. I started out great yesterday, but by days end I caved on a dessert and on snacks. The carbs were screaming at me. With lack of sleep and carbs coursing through my veins already, I just didn't have the willpower to say no.

So, I got a good night of sleep. I woke up feeling refreshed and ready to face today's challenges. I know I'm still running short on sleep, so I won't be completely free of cravings today I'm afraid, but it's starting out better than it would have if I hadn't had a good sleep. I ate a good, low carb breakfast, did some housework and I'm planning walking to volunteer today. It's not difficult to think this way either. I want to do these things. That in itself is different than yesterday and the day befor when I didn't want to do good things and the differeence is the amount of sleep I had. This makes me hopeful that getting back on track will be easier than it appeared yesterday.

Other news is that I signed up for a yoga class tomorrow. I will not lie. I'm a bit scared of this decision. Trying BodyStep and BodyPump and Zumba and even spinning was scary enough. That I have gotten to a point that I'm willing to try yoga is beyond scary. I'm afraid I'll look like a huge fool and will definitely push the comfort envelope for me. But, if I don't try, I can't know. With everything else, I've been pleasantly surprised how much I liked it, so.... I have to try. I know I need to work on flexibility and it's a great break between aerobics and strength training, but egad... A big scary leap for me!

Stats for 1/9/12:

Highest weight: 275. Now: 185.6
Total hours worked out in 2012: 4/250

No comments:

Post a Comment