Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Took a walk with 50 first graders yesterday

And that was the longest walk around the lake I've ever taken. It really was like herding cats - even with 7 adults walking along with! Wow! We started and stopped so many times it was hard to call it a walk. The kids were pushing each other down the hills (had to stop to stop that behavior), they would jump on any wall or bench we passed (teachers had to stop that too) and so on.

Fortunately, many of our stops were for educational purposes too. They were all excited to see the machine dredging the lake and the pipes leading to the dredging machine. They like seeing the ducks and ducklings and the geese and goslings (and they were NEW goslings) and they even got to see the heron a couple times.

What was amazing was how exhausted these kids were at the end of the walk. It's about 1.4 miles from there school all the way around and back. And, it is true, the last part is all uphill, but really? 6 and 7 year olds tired?  And the saddest part (goes with what I was saying about why we are so obese as a nation) is that all these kids live near this lake - every single one of them. Yet, many of them have only been to this lake once before  - for last year's walk around the lake. Really? There are playgrounds near the lake, a shaded paved path all around the lake. There's always wildlife to see and always other people walking around and they never go?

I would like to give the benefit of the doubt that maybe they are being active in other ways and a few are with ballet and dance and TaeKwonDo, but most? Nope. They are sitting at home playing games. They write about them in writing time when I volunteer - new games, all the time.  And I just have to shake my head. 

Yesterday I added 4 miles to my walking totals and all of it from utilitarian walking. It adds up fast!

Stats for 5/1/12:
Highest weight: 275 Now: 172
Total hours exercised in 2012: 80/250

And, today is measurements day!!! Well, again, I barely have anything - not enough to record. I think my measurements are SLIGHTLY smaller this month than the last two, but like a 1/4 inch in the waist, chest and hips. Not enough to record.

Lastly, a quick thank you to my readers. Last month I topped over the 2500 post reads for the month for the first time. I ended at 2681. In March I ended at 2495. I'll try to keep it interesting and hopefully will be adding some more weight loss soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment