Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Secrecy is an enemy. So here it is - no more secrets

I don't watch the show "The Biggest Loser" because I don't believe weight loss and getting fit should be a competition, and I think their tactics are too fierce and too extreme. To be the biggest loser, you have to have the most to lose, first of all. AND you have to be lucky with metabolism (mostly males do well on this show) and so on. But, one thing it does for people on the show, is to air their dirty 'weight' secret. Though is it really a secret? It's obvious when someone is overweight, so that isn't a secret, but the actual pounds people tend to keep guarded. I know I do and always have, even when I was thin. I can't speak for everyone, but for me, I always hid my actual weight because I was always heavier than the average teen and at 15 I didn't understand why I weighed 145 at 5'6.5" when the girl next to me of the same height weighed 125. Even now the Wii Fit says my suggested weight is 136 - would and could never happen unless I was really ill and under weight. Now, it's been a long time since I was thin, but doctors (more than one) reckon I should weigh between 155-165 for my frame size. When I lost a lot of weight before, I got down to 185 and my mother in law (the super critic of weight) thought I looked perfect and didn't think I needed to lose any more (and it was a fit 185 - could easily run 4 miles, but mainly I did the aerobics like I mentioned yesterday). So, that's why I always hid my weight because people were always shocked at how much I actually weighed.

But is this secrecy with pounds healthy? While I think it's very rude to ask someone how much they weigh, why don't we openly say how much we weigh when weight topics come up? I think people would stop being shocked when they realize the range people can weigh.

So, the honesty. All this build up to say, basically. I weigh a lot and always will weigh more than the average gal. My measurements will never again be 36-24-36. Passed that up when I was still a growing teen who was still filling out. I do have a realistic view of where I can go and be. I'm not even aiming at my perfect weight, but a healthier one where I can maintain it easily enough and be active and so on. I will not feel like a failure if I end up at 185 or 190 instead of 160 and so on.

My plan is to update some of these measurements weekly and others daily. I'll update measurements weekly and what the scale says daily. We have a body fat monitor scale, so I'll weigh myself the same time every day and report what it says for:
  • Weight
  • Body Fat %
  • Body Water %
  • Muscle Mass
  • Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR)
  • Metabolic Age
  • Bone Mass
Then weekly I will report these measurements:

  • Chest
  • Waist
  • Hips
  • Upper thigh
  • Upper arm
Of course, since I couldn't find my tape measure, I don't have beginning measurements, but three weeks into this, I don't think I've lost much in measurements as I've only lost 5 pounds.

So, here it is goes:

Scale 1/26/11:


  • Weight: 250.2 lbs
  • Body Fat: 49%
  • Body Water: 37.5%
  • Muscle Mass: 121.2 lbs
  • Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR): 1833 calories
  • Metabolic Age: 50
  • Bone Mass: 6.4 lbs
Measurements in inches 1/25/11:

Chest: 47
Waist: 43
Hips: 50
Upper thigh: 30
Upper arm: 17.75

And then as always, my exercise totals:

Walked it Out: 65 miles
Number of hours: 21.5 hours
Total pounds lost: 5 lbs

No comments:

Post a Comment