Wednesday, June 10, 2015

How I know my head is currently in a good place

I don't want to go into specifics as it's not my place as it's not my situation directly, but a family member has been really struggling this year. When that struggle started mid-year, "I" was not in a good place, so when I became cognizant of their struggles, it brought me even lower. I helped this person and put them first, but it dug me in deeper for my own struggles.



Now, in late spring when I'm no longer in this deep fog of "downness", I handled this same person's new "bad news" much more constructively for myself. I am helping them, AND still taking care of myself. I don't have to give up one to do the other as I have the energy and brain health to help support more than just me right now. Last winter? I gave up supporting me to support everyone else. That's not a healthy mix, but it is a good learning experience for me.

I still have to figure out how not to get down again this fall/winter, but at least I'm becoming more aware of it's impact and in realizing I need to tackle it head on and try to mitigate most of the damage to myself.

Anyway... self reflection time... I'm still learning and hopefully learning enough about myself to stop this destructive, repeating cycle I've found myself in. 


Weight loss reboot: 5/18/15
Down 16 pounds

No comments:

Post a Comment