Wednesday, April 9, 2014

And to follow a terrible day, a great day!

How days can flip around so much is amazing. My son had a phenomenal day yesterday - beginning to end. Maybe my getting mad at him was a bit of a wake up call to him too. I don't know, but it was nice to have a bit of a reprieve of all the negative.

It doesn't mean we can skip all the things he needs. No. He needs a lot, but at least there are good things going on too.

For me, I'm doing great. My mood is definitely better. I have zero cravings and zero desire to give in to carbs. I bought DONUTS last night for crying out loud! They were the "treat" for my son for having a great day. Yep... picked out donuts from Dunkin Donuts

Oh... and if you are going to criticize giving food for a reward. Keep it to yourself. I was very opposed to food for rewards too, but guess what? They work for him. He just needs to know it's a special treat and not something to go crazy about. I NEVER used food for rewards for my oldest and not until recently with my second. But... changed my tune when I saw what worked and what didn't. Special treats work for son #2 when other things do not. So, I use what works! (That and trips - he LOVES taking special trips, but I can't do that every day!)

I sat next to the donuts for an hour and wasn't even the slightest bit tempted to try one.Now how can that be? How can I go from I cannot walk past a carb heavy food without gorging on them, to having no interest in them at all? AND... I know this feeling won't last. However, I'm holding on to this as long as I possibly can and running with it!

So, things are looking up and up and up - except the scale. (grin).

I need to figure out exercise too. I am walking and will keep doing that, but I need to figure out what's going on with my back, leg, and neck too. Sooner or later these will impede me from doing more and that would be a bummer. Yet, I'm not wanting to do major things with my back either (no surgery). Hopefully it's just things out of alignment.  I'll just add to my 'to do' list that is already 10 feet long.




1 comment:

  1. My kids have no developmental delays or unusual issues and we STILL use food rewards. They enjoy a cookie or piece of candy after working hard, and I'm fine with giving it to them. My family didn't do food rewards and I still ended up fat with food issues - it seems that sort of thing is more heritable/personality based than familial habits, in my case.

    I'm glad you've had a better day and I hope you're building momentum! Yay!

    ReplyDelete