Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Traveling weight gains

There is something about travel or eating away from home that wreaks havoc with the scale.

So I brought the mini scale with me. I've been exceedingly good for a vacation, but the scale keeps creeping up.  It's almost certainly partly because my carb count is up and probably sodium too.  But I am eating one meal a day and making good decisions with what I get.

Like driving day we had no choice but to stop at a New Jersey Turnpike rest stop.  There they had a Burger King double bacon cheeseburger.  I took off the bun, and ate half of it (earlier in the day I had a cookie and a protein bar as well as half and half in my morning coffee). In the morning after travel I actually had a drop on the scale.

Second day, after arriving to our destination, I had a wee bit of half and half in my morning coffee, a slice of black bean, tomato, cilantro and avocado vegetarian pizza on a thin crust for lunch and at night a few apricot dumplings - like 3.  That resulted a weight gain of 1 pound over night.

Yesterday I didn't eat at all until dinner (as I was saving up for this meal as it was the meal I was anticipating the most). I ate the entire 12" cracker thin crust pizza which was topped with a spicy rosemary tomato sauce, spinach, roasted sweet potatoes, caramelized onions, and goat cheese. I was so full after that, but my 10 year old son also ate his entire pizza, so it's not like it was a HUGE amount of food.  In the hotel I had a cookie as I just needed something sweet.  This morning I have a 1.4 gain on the scale.

I know my eating is a bit more than usually, but I also know it's not weight gain territory either. Calorie count estimates for each of these days is: 864 on travel day, 1109 on first full day of vacation and 1406 yesterday. Yesterday also included about 5 miles of walking too.

Oh well... I'm enjoying my vacation and knowing I'm doing about as good as can be expected while also enjoying the food tremendously.

No comments:

Post a Comment