Sunday, March 24, 2013

Oh how I have changed!

The last two weeks I have been text book good. Completely on plan with my food. Exercising every day and if I missed a day, I made up for that hour during the week. I've done a mix of cardio and strength and I push myself every day.

Today was my rest day. I also decided I would make it a "eat what I want day". In the past, this would have meant a total pig out. Now?

Well, I had a normal breakfast in every way. Later, I ate two small pieces of cake (and they were small) and a danish at a meeting. Totally off plan, but that was my "lunch". I later ate 3 monster cookies at home and then I ate a smaller dinner than usually at home as I was full.

It was a total carb fest day and I am way over my calorie allotment, but later when I thought about getting something more, I thought to myself, "You don't really want anything more. You are just thinking you can because you gave yourself a free pass for the day. Every bite you eat is a bite that you will need to make up for later. It's not like tomorrow is a clean slate."

And that's the difference. I know that my extra 700 or so calories today will take about 2 to 3 days to make up, but if I kept eating and went totally crazy, it would take a week to make up for it.

I could tell I needed an off day today too. I'm finding that every 2-3 weeks I need to refuel with more food. This time I let the carb monster get me, but it's not always the case. And because I'm well rested and plan to get another good night of sleep, I don't think the one day of indulgence will hurt me except for the re-losing those calories I consumed today.

In the past, today wouldn't have been a 700 calorie fest, but a 3000 calorie fest. Yes, I have been known to eat an entire box of oreos. A single oreo cookie is 75 calories!!! And that would have to be offset by something salty, so a bag, a big bag, of chips with diet soda to wash it down. Why diet? I prefer the taste of it as I don't like sweet drinks.

So, I'm happy to see the changes. I'm happy to see the mind shift.

Now, I wish I could get to the point where I would never need or want these carby treats, but I doubt I will be able to erase a lifetime of a sweet tooth, but keeping it in check and tempering it with exercise and good eating will help, a lot!

1 comment:

  1. I have been finding that when I have been on plan for a while and I have a day of off plan eating it actually helps me not only mentally, but the scale drops.

    Last week we had a party for work related reasons and I ate pizza - a LOT of pizza - and had a piece of cake. I saw the scale jump way up the next day, but then I dropped at least 2 pounds lower then I have been.

    Our bodies are funny things!!

    Jen

    ReplyDelete