Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Weight gain from the heat - don't sweat it!

When I was losing weight three years ago, I noticed an uptick on the scale that made no sense at first. I was eating right. I was exercising right. What was going on? Then it dawned on me. I could see that my rings were tighter (after getting too loose) and that my sandal straps sometimes left dents on the top of my feet. Ah... water retention.



I looked it up and yes, in the summer heat our bodies ups the water level a wee bit - it can be several pounds just in water for the body to use to self-regulate its temperature better. It's completely normal and  we shouldn't try to "undo" what the body is trying to do. Just realize that if you are trying to lose weight that for a month in summer you might see a slow down month for no apparent reason.  In the fall when the temps come down, you will have an unexpected water weight loss and will have a bigger loss for the month than would be expected. So, don't sweat it... It's OK. Drink plenty of fluids and just mentally adjust.

And that is where I'm at right now. The heat has gone up, up, up and my ring is tighter and the scale is up 3 pounds for several days now despite being 100% on plan. We don't over air condition our home and we still do a lot of things outside, so my body is coping with it the way it's designed to do - which is good actually! Yay for a body working right! I'll just have to be a bit more patient with the weight loss and not get frustrated.

Here's an article for you, explaining it more, from Scientific American: http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/experts-body-wieght-ambient-temperature/

Other than that, life is good. I'm sleeping well. I am busy with the end of school year stuff, but in general, I have nothing to complain about.


No comments:

Post a Comment