Tuesday, May 27, 2014

In fall and winter I want to EAT and in spring and summer - who cares about food!

Yesterday and today it is getting hot and because of that, I have NO interest in food at all. I almost think we should keep the air conditioning really at minimum so that I stay a little hot so that I'm not hungry!  Seriously, it is 2:25 pm and all I've had to do is my coffee in the morning with half and half and I am so not hungry and when I think about food the only thing that sounds good is a cold salad.

I've been that way for as long as I can remember. When the warm weather rolls around I think about grilled meats with lots and lots and lots of salads. I think about strawberries, watermelon, peaches and maybe ice cream, light food.

Come fall and winter, I'm thinking roasted meats with brussel sprouts and beets and potatoes. I want hearty soups, gravies and cakes and cookies - heavy food.

I know I'm not alone in this and it almost certainly has some evolutionary basis (bulk up in fall for the lean, hard winter) and eat the fresh foods you couldn't have gotten in 'olden times' during spring and summer. Salad in winter? Barely ever interested. Soups in summer? NO WAY - unless it's a chilled soup.

So, it's making weight loss efforts easier as the foods I want to eat are lighter and when I'm hot, the appetite turns OFF. I'm much more interested in a tall, cold herbal (nonsweetened) iced tea! Ahhh!!!

When you think about it, even the party/celebration foods for spring/summer is lighter and different. For Memorial Day and July 4th it's all about grilled foods and salads (though for many it's those awful potato salads - ick!). It's corn on the cob, fresh tomatoes, watermelon, etc. In the cooler months it's roast turkey and all the trimmings, baked ham,  potatoes and cookies. It's a lot easier to eat better for the summer parties than winter ones, at least it is for me.

We didn't do anything big for the memorial day weekend - we spent a lot of time on the deck and just relaxed now that my son is done with school. Eating was easy and clean - no high calorie days.

Weight is going up though as it seems with my thyroid coming back in line, my menstrual cycle is regulating. So, today is day 9 and like clock work (for me) the scale is up .7 I'll probably see steady gains for the next week and then I'll start this month's "whoosh". Hoping to get into the 2-teens by mid June!


No comments:

Post a Comment