Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Wish I knew what was causing what

When you go on vacation, you have to plan for everything you might need.  We knew we needed stuff for the beach, which included beach towels, a blanket, rash guards, sunscreens of different levels, goggles and two suits each. We needed clothes and while it didn't sound like 4 shorts each and 7 shirts was too much for 3.5 weeks, it seems we have double what we need for clothes.  We needed books and games for midday and evenings and computers to stay in touch and work during off times.

As a woman, I have to plan for my monthly cycle and of course, think about contraception.  Last month I was pretty sure I didn't ovulate, but wasn't sure as the past few months have been less obvious and my period was 4-5 days late.  This month, with so much going on, I didn't write down dates so I was really shooting in the dark. But I had to be prepared with feminine products.  And with not k owing when it would start, every time we go anywhere, I have to bring my emergency supply with me in my purse.  By now, I am at least 10 days late.  Again, I don't think I ovulated... And maybe this is my first true menopausal month?  Or... Is it my thyroid?

I was also having some serious hot flashes. Like bad. So much so that I thought I would go crazy if I had to go through years of hot flashes all day long, many times a day. These seemed to have mostly subsided, but no period. While theoretically I could be pregnant, I know I'm not. As always, My husband and I are careful, and with a crazy month, there wasn't much time or desire for fun in bed, though it did happen, but it's not even in my thoughts as a possibility. It's either my thyroid or menopause.  Only learning my thyroid levels in September, will I know.

Wouldn't it be ironic if I started skipping my period with menopause during vacation in Croatia?  I learned of two of my three pregnancies while in Croatia (and also started miscarrying during one of the same vacations).  I've only been in this country 5 times and to have 3 major fertility things happen during those vacations?  That's a little weird!  Others milestones happened in other times we've been here too.  1995 found out I was  pregnant with our first, 1997, oldest potty trained himself while on vacation. In 2001 we found out I was pregnant and then miscarried during that vacation.  2006, our younger son started eating solids for the first time (after months of trying at home beforehand).  And now in 2012, I am perhaps missing my first period due to menopause. Weird stuff!  No such big milestones happened during other vacations - only the ones to Croatia!


But, perhaps, it's not menopause and just a messed up thyroid.  I'll find out soon enough.  

No comments:

Post a Comment