Saturday, August 18, 2012

5th Vacation Observation - European sizing versus US sizing

I didn't go shopping while in Croatia for a variety of reasons. One, I don't have any clothing needs right now as I've been at a pretty stable weight for a long time. Two, we were in tourist towns, even if my wardrobe still needed something, I didn't want to pay jacked up prices when I know I could get the same things for far less elsewhere and three, I didn't want to see that I might be too big for the store's sizes.

In the US I've gotten used to being able to wear a size 10. I can wear a 10 anywhere that sells clothes that appeal to me. There might be some teeny bopper stores that I would be too big for, but those clothes don't appeal to me and probably never would have.

I know, however, that this size 10 is a size 14 or even a 16 from not that long ago. Remember, I have a size 16 skirt in my closet that fits me perfectly from 1995. A size 14 is like top of the line for regular sizes - or at least used to be, in a lot of stores. But have European designers adapted to the larger customers as I see Europeans getting chubbier too? I don't know. I was too afraid to look and my husband would have killed me for looking on vacation - wasting time shopping.

What I do know is that my mother in law got a t-shirt for a gift from a friend. The T-shirt would fit me or her. It looks like an American size Medium. It says XL.  I know if I were to order a dress or shirt from the UK that I need to order a different size.

This goes in line with her getting kid's clothes in the past too. Sizes run smaller than they do here. Now I wish I would have tried on a pair of pants or a dress while there just to see, but too late now. And who needs to feel crushed on vacation when realizing I'm too big for a regular department store? Maybe next time when I feel I'm at my best weight and fitness level I can get to. Then how could I feel bad?

Of course, this now has me wondering if the difference in sizes has always been that way or if it's a recent change with American's vanity sizing? A trend, I'm reading which will continue as it's profitable. Women like feeling smaller and smaller numbers make you feel smaller than you are. I wonder how long this trick will work?

Highest weight: 275  Now: 178.2

No comments:

Post a Comment