Thursday, March 17, 2011

Just realized this is the least I've weighed in well over a decade

I've gotten close to this weight before without trying to lose weight. I weighed 238 after giving birth to my youngest. (I tend to lose weight while pregnant - I think it's that my metabolism speeds up during pregnancy and I am ultra careful about what I eat during pregnancies too). I weighed 240 something after our move from Canada to Iowa, but to be 233.... that would have to be way back in 1998. That is unbelievably LONG ago. Of course then, I was appalled to be so high and began that exercise and Weight Watcher's diet. I was losing about 2 pounds a week then too, maybe a bit less, but I was eating a lot of carbs still and I was still dealing with cravings for sweet things. This time I'm in a much better place mentally about the weight loss and have no cravings.

But it's been 13 years, almost exactly since I was this weight before. During that time, as I said, I lost about 2 lbs a week (like I am now) and I got down to 185 (for about a day) to 50 lbs lost. And I got to there around October or maybe earlier November. Gee, I can't quite remember. I know I totally quit some time in November, but for about a month there I was still exercising frantically, but my eating had gotten out of control. I was beginning to binge eat, but not wanting to quit, I was trying to at least exercise for awhile.... but then gave up. Yes, it was November when I quit the exercise, but it was October when the weight loss stopped.

I still have about five pieces of clothing from that time and two more from before I gained all the weight in the first place (though I was about 190 when I got married at age 23, so I could weigh less than when I got married quite easily). One item I have is a pair of black linen pants from Laura Ashley's store in a size 14 (a generously sized 14). They fit me so nicely and are so nice quality that I always held onto them in hopes that I could wear them again. Another is a red dress I bought from Talbot's. It's a size 20 (before they changed their sizes) and it fits like a 16. I simple adore that dress so I kept it. Similar story for a blue skirt and blouse from Pier One that I kept. Then there's a dress, a summer weight purple one, that i don't even like that much, but my husband wanted me to keep because he loved how I looked in it and always hoped I could wear it again. That's about a 16 and I wore it that summer I was losing all the weight... at about 200 lbs I think?  And then there's a wool pleated skirt (probably damaged from moths by this point) that I got from LLBean when I first got married and weighed about 195. That's a size 16.  And then there's my wedding outfit which is a two piece light weight dress suit. Wouldn't it be nice if that were actually too big for me instead of too small as it has been forever except for that one other time I dropped weight?

That I kept my wedding outfit, OK, that makes sense as most people keep that, but that I kept those others means I always had hope that I would get there and be able to wear them again. It is a bit crazy as we've moved 5 times since I lost that weight the first time. But having hope is important.

And then there are rings to fit into. I'm already able to wear one that my mother in law gave me when my youngest son was born. I'm wearing that one now. Then there are two others a tad too snug yet. Ironically, it was for my anniversary in October that I had my wedding ring expanded. I hadn't been wearing it for over a decade because it was too tight. I had a different band instead. Now it fits fine, but it will probably get too big for my finger and then what? In October, when I was in the middle of all those terrible headaches and not sleeping well, I gave up. I figured, "what's the point. I'll never be thin enough to wear this ring at its small size again." Then, in less than three months, the headaches were gone and I was sleeping better and ready to take on this weight battle. Look how quickly things can change?

Ok, time to get the little one up for school. it's going to be a beautiful day so I'll try to spend some time outside too. Maybe raking? Or maybe I'll do that tomorrow when it's supposed to hit 75? Woo-hoo! (or a little each day is probably a better plan. We didn't rake in the fall as several of our trees are late leaf droppers).

Stats for 3/17/11:

Beginning weight: 255.6   Now: 233.2 (22.4 lbs lost)
Exercise total hours in 2011: 69 hours 40 minutes
Walking totals in 2011: 227/1000 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment