Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Planning a vacation

Four years ago my family went to Boston. I was quite literally in the middle of my weight loss at the time. I was 30 pounds lighter than I am now.

I could be discouraged about that, but I'm not. I'm working on it and the good thing is that I haven't given up. I'm just having to learn new coping strategies. And it's actually a good thing.

Last time around, I relied heavily upon exercise to make my caloric deficit AND to keep my appetite in check. I started to run into troubles when I got injured or if we went on vacation. I stalled out because I was eating at maintenance, which for me, at close to my ideal weight, unfortunately, is about 1500 calories. I was HUNGRY on 1500 calories. And lack of exercise days often led to weight gains!

But, by changing my way of eating, I've found ways to not be hungry (or at least be hungry in a manageable way). I've upped my fat intake in the morning, satiating my body for several hours. A small protein/fat boost midday gets me through until dinner where I can eat a modest to moderate dinner.

Exercise is going to be part of my plan, but now I know I don't have to rely on exercise to create a deficit. I can massage my calories better and I can do that better by changing when I eat.

It's a good feeling actually. When I exercise more, I will eat more. When I am not exercising, I know how to decrease my eating.

I feel more confident in knowing how to deal with vacations too. I will do as I do at home - half and half in my morning coffee, a light snack for lunch, and a moderate dinner low on the carbs (and not going crazy on the calorie dense meals).

Last time I went to Boston I was wondering how I would manage. This time I know how I will manage.

Oh! I haven't told you either, I don't think! I got myself a travel scale to take with me! And it's within .1 of my scale at home, so I TRUST IT too.

Another thing I know about myself? I don't go overboard if I know I will have to weigh in. So, I will weigh in while on vacation! Cost me 20 bucks and it's about the size of a Kindle and has it's own case.




Isn't it cute?

No comments:

Post a Comment