Saturday, April 9, 2011

Better late than never - getting ready for bike riding!

So, for years we didn't ride as we had a little one and nowhere to go really. Plus, the expense of getting my husband a bike, me a bike, and a bike trailer? Wow... you're talking over a grand just to tool around. Plus, in a town house, where could we keep bikes? Storing strollers and our older son's bike was enough.

One of the draws of our new neighborhood, was that everything is close. The mall, the library, the pools, parks, trails. It's a walker's and bike rider's dream! But, time and money were tight for the first year, so we held off. Last year I started looking for a bike to replace my younger son's tricycle, but all young kid bikes were way too small for him. He needed a 20" bike, but those are a big fall down if he tipped over. If he tipped over? How about when he tipped over. Plus, with his motor planning issues, a solo bike would be tough. So, I started looking for alternatives. I thought about a trail-a-bike. That's what we had for our older son in for family bike rides, but I knew that our younger guy wouldn't feel confident. So, I kept looking and found this: http://buddybike.com/ Wow, this sounded fantastic, but of course, nowhere to try it out here locally. Then, I asked the people at Buddy Bike and Shelly responded that someone in our area had listed a bike for sale long ago, maybe it was still available. I tried, and sure enough, it was. He had only listed on the buddy bike site, so it had sat. We went to look at it and decided, "Yes, this is for us." This is the model we have:

So, the little guy and I had a bike, our older son had a bike, just my husband needed one. He looked in the fall, but couldn't decide. And in the fall isn't when you think about riding. Now, however, it's spring and time to ride!

We are members of REI and I had some dividend money saved up for the last two years. Couple that with their 20% off sale, it was time for him to get a bike. Now, he thought he knew what he wanted, but in the end, after several back and forth decisions, he decided on this one: Marin Bridgeway

We then went to Target and got helmets for the two of us (kids already have them) and bike locks and a bell for my bike. We are all set! Just need to pump some air in my tandem bike and tighten the loose handlebar and we are set! Tomorrow should be perfect for biking too!

Stats for 4/9/11:

Beginning Weight: 255.6  Now 222.8
Exercise totals: 90 hours 45 minutes
Walking Totals: 301.5/1000

No comments:

Post a Comment